11.27.2012

Mercies along the way... {entry no.7}


"The quality of mercy is not strained; 
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven 
Upon the place beneath. 
It is twice blest- 
It blesseth him that gives, 
and him that takes."   
                         -Shakespeare

I used to be a thankful person.  Positive.  Aware of my blessings.  Enjoying simple things, but in tune with the bigger picture.  Slowly and without intention, I began to allow circumstances and the busyness of life to cloud my vision.

So, I'm trying something new, somewhat inspired by this author.  Mercies along the way is a place for me to begin reclaiming that piece of myself.  Every Monday you'll find me here, sharing bits of my life that I am finding joy in.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

156.  good news from an unexpected person
157.  our home study agency.  really, they are amazing post-placement.
158.  Asrat giving Negusse a big hug at church.  Thankful for this relationship.
159.  a good, ugly cry after a phone call from the head cross country coach
160.  An.gie's Holi.drizzle popcorn straight from the factory, courtesy of our favorite An.gie's employee, my bro-in-law, John. a perfect snack for our trip.
161.  great weather for traveling.  safety through fog.
162.  peace through some crazy phone calls at crazy times
163.  being in Erkinesh's favorite place on earth, Chicago
164.  great hospitality (all 7 of us bravely welcomed by a family I had met only once before), Mexican buffet with friends
165.  being among families that look like ours



166.  2 little boys dressed alike
167.  conversations around the table with other moms and their willingness to stay up/out late, wonderful Ethiopian coffee in the morning
168.  being back in Shipshewana with our whole family this time


169.  friends who let the 7 of us stay in their home when they were not there

Amy, Asrat made himself right at home.
170.  sleeping in a beautifully decorated guest room that I had only previously seen in pictures.  Thanks, Amy.  I liked looking at the magazines, too.
171.  Seeing glimpses into our friends' normal everyday lives again.
172.  being welcomed back into the B-ship family Thanksgiving.  And their graciousness when we were hours later than we thought we would be. gracious friends.
173.  a lovely late night neighborhood walk and talk
174.  2 little boys who are much alike laying on the floor together pouring over star. war.s lego books


175.  kids having so much fun together
176.  eating Kristen's sweet potato casserole
177.  hearing the Indiana drawl again.  love it.  I felt so at home.
178.  breakfast, 9 kiddos playing well which allowed for conversation.  seriously awesome cherry tea.  being in my friend's home again after far too long.


179.  still having refrigerator privileges after being away so long
180.  small group reunion.  I cannot say how much I love these people.  Spoiled by all their wonderful food that I love (how did they remember?)...corn cake, turkey pasta primavera, meatballs for Jackson, strawberry cake.  Way too many amazing people in one place.


181.  the Center UMC crowd.  such warm, warm people.  Oh, the hugs.  So thankful that we were able to share life together for 5 years...and we can still visit.
182.  an unexpected little blessing
183.  dinner with friends on Saturday night.  connecting again.  lots of memories. lots of laughing, especially from Joyce
184.  sleeping in a familiar home.  my kids loving to be there, playing with the toys they remember, being loved.  late night quiet conversations and waking up to chocolate chip pancakes.
185.  many, many real conversations
186.  Stephanie's cake pop leftovers on the drive home


187.  These women.  Being with them.  They mean so much to me.  I cannot say more.


188.  arriving home safely
189.  hard decision brings peace after prayer
190.  homemade hot fudge sauce
191.  a little red bag for the ride home
192.  the joy of watching what God is doing in other families
193.  a beautiful new home for our friends

We took a road trip for Thanksgiving and were able to see so many, many friends.  What a huge gift.  My cup is overflowing.

p.s.  I actually have some other blog posts in the works, believe it or not.

9 comments:

  1. Love this! Do Hoosiers really have a "drawl"? :)And did I spy a picture of your kids in front of......is it called Essenhaus restaurant? Sounds like you had a perfect Thanksgiving trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit of one...and they always tell Brad he sounds like he's from Canada. When we lived there our family always made fun of us saying we had a drawl, but I love it!
      We were by the Blue Gate Inn in Shipshewana.

      Delete
    2. Funny! When I moved here I was asked many many times if I was from Canada too. So, maybe there is a little Indiana drawl in us. :)

      Delete
  2. Sharon, this is sooo beautiful..and with such wonderful friends...You are blessed...I'm so thankful you had this time together to re-connect...and sometimes you don't have to even work at that, you can just pick up where you left off....So thankful for a safe trip, and love the pics, too...glad to have home....
    Love and hugs...
    mom..

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, we do not have a drawl! :) Oh my, it was so good to see you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) The person above who commented is also a Hoosier but now living here!

      Delete
  4. This looks absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a drawl. More of a twang..or just incoherent mumble..
    It was such a blessing to see you all. I wish it was on a regular basis...like daily..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes-a huge blessing to see you! Miss the dailiness of sharing our family's lives. (I guess I have no idea how to family plural.)

      Delete