11.19.2012

Mercies along the way... {entry no. 6}


"The quality of mercy is not strained; 
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven 
Upon the place beneath. 
It is twice blest- 
It blesseth him that gives, 
and him that takes."   
                         -Shakespeare

I used to be a thankful person.  Positive.  Aware of my blessings.  Enjoying simple things, but in tune with the bigger picture.  Slowly and without intention, I began to allow circumstances and the busyness of life to cloud my vision.

So, I'm trying something new, somewhat inspired by this author.  Mercies along the way is a place for me to begin reclaiming that piece of myself.  Every Monday you'll find me here, sharing bits of my life that I am finding joy in.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

121.  all 3 kids passing their swimming classes.  extra encouragement they got from the instructors.  classes offered in November after I couldn't get it together for the summer.
122.  Jada persevering 
123.  Shrimp, roasted potatoes and jello made by Jada on an extra-crazy day. (school. swimming lessons. cleaning for a showing.  getting everyone out of the house at 8 pm for a showing)


124.  Dr. Pepper that I found hidden in the basement.  after begging my husband to tell me where he put it.
125.  Asrat happily reading to himself
126.  starting the day with a phone conversation with a dear friend 700 miles away.
127.  Brad not on call after Friday.  whew.
128.  Brad fixing his car and saving us $400+
129.  making plans with faraway friends (see #126)
130.  Asrat eating injera and wat all week for lunch
131.  friends who know me well. I don't have to explain myself (see #126)
132.  realizing some growth
133.  a very quick answer to a prayer whispered in my mind
134.  being able to communicate with people important to us across the ocean
135.  a special girl we've only met twice, but love and pray for
136.  Asrat serenading me. loudly.
137.  Sundays free from homework for everyone
138.  time to plan ahead for meals.
139.  Erkinesh talking freely to her class about how it feels to be new and what it felt like to be an immigrant as a kindergartner.  
140.  Erkinesh inviting Asrat to visit 2nd grade and be her special person


141.  Chocolate chip cookies delivered to Asrat by a friend.  the way he covered his mouth and smiled when she brought them during dinner.


142.  hope
143.  people who care, open hearts
144.  an actual sit down conversation with my brother-in-law and sister-in-law.  so nice.
145.  a fun Saturday morning.  peppermint mocha and a drive with my husband (and Asrat).
146.  reconnecting with a friend after a few busy weeks.  sharing tea and snacks in our livingroom and being surprised when Brad brought us more treats!
147.  being surprised by the words, "I need Mommy."
148.  remembering that most weeks aren't as busy as last week.
149.  Jada enjoying some new books
150.  Ezra agreeing when I told him that I'm a fabulous mom. :)
151.  Jackson planning ahead and studying ahead.  watching responsibility grow.
152.  bedtime hugs from my biggest kids
153.  random facts from Ezra and his love for non-fiction
154.  warm weather in November
155.  wrapping up some projects in much less time than I imagined.

5 comments:

  1. love them all!
    blessings, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving the gratitude. Our sermon yesterday mentioned that gratitude is God's will for our life. Keep living in the center of that will, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally visited Ann's blog and it was so great!! Her book sounds very good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love these happy positive posts. thank you for sharing such sweet moments.

    ReplyDelete