11.17.2009

Beauty for Ashes, part 2?

Last night I sat down to read just after posting (see below) and I came across this:

"Catastrophic loss by definition precludes recovery. It will transform us or destroy us, but it will never leave us the same. There is no going back to the past...It is not therefore true that we become less through loss-unless we allow the loss to make us less, grinding our soul down until there is nothing left...Loss can make us more. I did not get over the loss of my loved ones; rather, I absorbed the loss into my life...until it became part of who I am. Sorrow took up permanent residence in my soul and enlarged it...One learns the pain of others by suffering one's own pain, by turning inside oneself, by finding one's own soul...However painful, sorrow is good for the soul...the soul is elastic, like a balloon. It can grow larger through suffering." -Gerald Sittser

Not trying to be mournful here. Some of you who have adopted or are in the process might understand where I'm coming from. Striving to learn. To understand. To prepare for my little girl...and for life, itself. To love better.

"The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me...He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted...to give them beauty for ashes...that He might be glorified." Isaiah 61:1-3


2 comments:

  1. Sharon, you are on a roll! What a wonderful blessing for your sweet girl that you are preparing your heart to meet her needs. And the words from that book...so true. It's not fun, but honestly, one of the biggest "moments" in our growth as Christians came after the sudden death of a very close friend. We began earnestly seeking God in our lives & believing, "There has to be more to it than this (referring to our faith life, church, what God wants us to do with our lives, etc.). Though full of grief, it was a pivotal time that changed our lives. Good to remember that instead of trying to make the grief go away for our children, we should look at how we can help them grow through them. Thanks for sharing. ~Dardi

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. i needed to read that. thanks for posting it. am walking through some dreadful losses right now, and this really challenged me and encouraged me. i love you.

    ReplyDelete